commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: Commons-rng job failing
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2018 13:01:46 GMT
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:21:25 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 25 January 2018 at 11:57, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 11:44:49 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> There are two ways to compile of Java 6:
>>>
>>> Build with Java 6
>>> Build with a later version, but use the profile: -Pjava-1.6
>>

>> FTR: this does not seem to work anymore on Jenkins: Job
>> "commons-rng" had been failing for many days without notice.
>
> What do you mean by 'without notice'?
> - no notification to the mailing lists
> - no-one seems to care about the failures
> - something else?

Day "d", it worked; day "d+1" it didn't. No config change performed
by me.  Remarks noted in the job description, not by me (by INFRA
people?).

> And what is the failure?
>
> AFAICT Commons-RNG is not using Java 6

Do you mean the library, or the Jenkins job (as currently configured)?

The source code is certainly Java 6-compatible.

A couple of days ago, I changed the Jenkins config to use JDK 8.
The POM directs the compiler to produce Java 6-compatible bytecode;
a local check confirmed that the class version was "50.0".

> so if there is a problem
> related to Jenkins it is something different from problems using
> -Pjava-1.6 which I assume also occur for local builds.

I suppose that Jenkins is there so that the projects can be compiled
and checked for compatibility in various consistent environments.
When configuring for Java 6, the following error occurs:
---CUT---
   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
jenkins/maven3/agent/Maven35Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
---CUT---

I seem to recall that newer versions of Jenkins and/or maven
required Java 7 (?).
Perhaps it could work with older versions of maven (?). But
how to concile old maven with new plugins (and keep up with
"commons-parent")?

Gilles