commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [commons-release-plugin] (Was: svn commit: r24003 - in /dev/commons/text: ./ binaries/ source/)
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2018 13:41:05 GMT
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:08:05 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:24 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 21:07:41 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> So, now I have a plugin that detaches the distributions, zips the
>>> site, and then commits the zipped site, RELEASE-NOTES.txt (from the
>>> root), and the distributions to the svn staging area. All from:
>>>
>>> mvn clean site deploy -Prelease -Duser.name=chtompki
>>> -Duser.password=<my_password>
>>>
>>> Thoughts on pulling this in as a new component and starting to get
>>> it
>>> to a more formal state? I’m sure we could add more, but this does
>>> take
>>> away a considerable portion of the manual steps.
>>
>> Does it work for modular components? [See below.]
>>
>>> Also, as I said before I’ve not written any maven unit/integration
>>> tests. I do know that I could contrive some unit tests using
>>> PowerMockito (but that feels mildly pointless because it is indeed
>>> contrivance with little value). So, I will try to investigate the
>>> maven testing mechanics, but what I currently have does indeed
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Should I call a vote for the new component?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -Rob

>> In the case of a modular component, the file
>>  commons-<name>-<version>-bin.tar.gz
>> should contain the JAR files (codes, sources, javadoc) of all
>> the modules, and the file
>>  commons-<name>-<version>-src.tar.gz
>> should contain the (main) source codes of all the modules.
>>
>> If your new plugin does that, then it will be unnecessary to
>> add an ad-hoc module like "dist-archive" (see e.g. [1]) that
>> only exists for the sake of creating those ("include-all")
>> "src" and "bin" files.
>
> Yes. Your have a good point point Gilles.
>
> It would seem that we would want some flavour of a new distribution
> handling mojo for just this case, but I don’t foresee that as being
> overly difficult, we’d have to just accommodate for a slightly more
> manual process. I still think that with a little work we could make
> the signing of those artifacts as well as the upload to svn maven
> target based as opposed to you having to copy files around on your
> machine and check them in manually.
>
> Thoughts?

Why "more manual process"?  Is the modular case any different from the
maven API POV (I'd imagine it's "just" building recursively)?

Do you plan to add the necessary code as part of your current work on
this new plugin?  This will surely help for the release of at least
  RNG
  Numbers
  Statistics
  Math
and any other currently (or future) modular component.

Thanks,
Gilles