commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@apache.org>
Subject Questions regarding improving the Apache Commons release process.
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2017 03:10:18 GMT
Hello all,

Pardon, maybe this should have gone to your @user list, but why not ping the dev crew. I’ve
been playing around the ideas surrounding our fairly manual release process for the components
in Commons, and I was hoping for some insights.

Scripting the version changes isn’t really that big of a deal for us, and that I can manage.
But, when it comes to publishing our artifacts to the apache nexus repository, and then separately
publishing our -src and -bin assemblies to the dev dist subversion repository (and consequently
deleting those artifacts from nexus as they’re “attached” for the purpose of gpg signing),
I feel it a tad cumbersome.

I’ve fiddled around a little with the idea of detaching the -src and -bin assemblies after
gpg signing with some success, but then I have to delve into the mechanics of publishing those
up to the subversion repository, and clearly that problem has already been solved. So I find
myself in the space of trying to shoehorn our process into its the main maven-release-plugin,
which I’ve found a tad difficult, versus writing our own release plugin, which feels like
I would be duplicating tons of code (which I don’t want to do).

I’m curious if you guys have any thoughts on the matter as I’ve been playing around in
the space for a little while now.

Cheers and happy holidays from UTC-5,
-Rob