commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [LANG] Add module-info.java?
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:12:52 GMT
On 16 October 2017 at 14:14, Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com> wrote:
> [In regards to original question, -0.0  (harmless, but pointless, since
> applications should not use lang as a jpms module.

Huh? Of course they should.

> To be usable as a jpms
> module, EVERY  release that has ANY api change must use new module and
> package names).[1]  ]
> [1] A module can only appear in the modpath once. A package can only come
> from one module. If an application uses multiple third party dependencies,
> which use different versions of a fourth party module,  "*Lasciate ogne
> speranza, voi ch'intrate".*

Adding a package is fine so long as it is under the same root package
(that is why I argued for module names to be the same as the root
package name - to ensure ownership). Modules are supposed to be
shared, but they do place a high bar on backwards compatibility, which
[lang] already meets.

Changing the module name every release would be horrific for users and
make problems worse not better.

Stephen