commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] update to pool 2.4.3.
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2017 00:54:14 GMT
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 2:09 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29 October 2017 03:54:40 GMT+00:00, "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <
> brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br.INVALID> wrote:
> >Hi Gary,
> >
> >Started the tests in Maven command line, found which tests failed.
> >Executed the tests in Eclipse, found which class was related to the
> >failure. Then did a diff between both tags.
> >
> >git diff POOL_2_4_2 POOL_2.4.3-RC1 --
> >./src/main/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/impl/DefaultPooledObject.java
> >
> >The short diff indicates that the failures started possibly due to the
> >replacement of Exceptions in the DefaultPooledObject by a CallStack.
> >Looks like the CallStack does not keep track of all the methods called
> >(due to a security context manager from what I could tell?). Only
> >classes.
> >
> >The following pull request updates pool to 2.4.3, and changes the unit
> >tests to, instead of looking for method names in the log writer output,
> >to look for the test class name.
> >
> >    https://github.com/apache/commons-dbcp/pull/8
> >

> >Feel free to review and merge if you agree it's a good solution.
>
> I'm not sure it is a good solution. I need to look at what is going on in
> more detail but if the method information has been lost then that will make
> tracking down the root cause of a pool leak much, much harder.

That we know that 2.4.3 does not provide method information compared to
2.4.2, I propose:

- Adapt the dbcp test to this new behavior, then release dbcp 2.2.0.
- Wait for Matt's fix to [poo], release [pool] 2.5.0 (and 2.4.4 if Matt
feels like providing a patch there as well.)
- Update dbcp again to test both the old and new call stack formats.
- Release dbcp 2.2.1

Thoughts?

Gary