commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] Add module-info.java?
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2017 13:05:28 GMT

> On Oct 14, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Stephen Colebourne has raised a PR on GitHub to add a module-info.java file to Commons
Lang [1]. The build is configured in a way, that the resulting jar will also work on Java
7 and 8. Since module-info is a Java 9 feature, the build will only work on Java 9.
> I’d like to hear opinions on this change.

Feels like a change that would warrant a major version change, but that would have us maintaining
another major version branch.

It would be interesting if we could somehow put that file in place as part of the build such
that Lang 3 and Lang 4 gets built off the same codebase except that Lang 4 gets module-info.java
placed up-front in the build process. But, I admit, that may be overly complex, and we might
want to contribute those mechanics back to maven somehow.

-Rob