commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [COLLECTIONS] module-info.java and Java 9 (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:12:22 GMT
Hi,

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:
>
> Von: Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@joda.org>
> Betreff: Aw: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2
> Datum: 20. September 2017 um 18:08:33 MESZ
> An: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
> Antwort an: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
>
> I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
> for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.
>
> I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
> the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
> [collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
> no dependencies, right?

There are test dependencies.

And I wonder how we can create a jar that is also valid on JVM 7 and 8. Do they ignore the
module-info.class which would be included? Or do we have to create a Multi-Release jar? The
build will definitely require Java 9.

Cheers,
Benedikt

> Stephen
>

> On 20 September 2017 at 17:03, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 20.09.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
>>> parent POM and releasing that POM first?
>>
>> Stephen Colebourne said that we have to check on a per component basis whether the
component is ready to be released as Java 9 module. For this reason we wanted to add this
to every component individually. At least that is what I recall.