commons-dev mailing list archives

From Pascal Schumacher <pascalschumac...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [all/travis-ci] Regarding potential Travis-CI solutions
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 16:19:51 GMT
Hello everybody,

let me add some detail to what I mean by hard to maintain.

The scripts contains links to specific jdk versions:

http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/archive/178/binaries/jdk-9+178_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz
http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/archive/178/binaries/jdk-9+178_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz
http://download.java.net/java/jdk8u152/archive/b05/binaries/jdk-8u152-ea-bin-b05-linux-x64-20_jun_2017.tar.gz
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/ibmdl/export/pub/systems/cloud/runtimes/java/8.0.4.7/linux/x86_64/ibm-java-sdk-8.0-4.7-x86_64-archive.bin

These have to be updated regularly, because what good is it to test
against yesterdays EA versions? (They actually are already out of date :().

Commons-text just uses a very stable and small parts of the jdk so I do
not think it is very likely that something will break on a different
variant.

There is also a pull request to add the ibm jdk to travis:
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-cookbooks/pull/874 and a travis
employee promised to take a look soon. So maybe travis will support the
ibm jdk out of the box soon.

Cheers,
Pascal

Am 03.08.2017 um 23:32 schrieb Rob Tompkins:
> Hello all,
>
> We have an open pull request from Amey (https://github.com/apache/commons-text/pull/61
<https://github.com/apache/commons-text/pull/61>) proposing a fairly complicated but
quite nice travis-ci build solution (taken from the jacoco project) that accommodates building
on JDK7, JDK8, JDK8-ea, EclipseJava, JDK9-ea, as well as IBMJava-8. To accommodate building
on all of these different versions of Java, we do however need to make the travis-ci build
a good deal more complex.

> As the two reviewers on the pull request, Pascal and myself, have mildly differing opinions
on the complexity-value trade off here, with Pascal’s opinion being: "…[T]his is overkill.
I don't think commons-text needs to be tested against the eclipse java compiler and early
access versions of java 8 and 9. The script looks difficult to debug and maintain.” And
my perspective is that this could be a test piece for using this elsewhere in commons.

> To me, the argument for simplicity is always quite compelling, to the point that I’m
mostly willing to let go of using the jacoco travis-ci pattern. But I figured I would, before
making any decisions, see what the community thinks generally about this possible travis-ci
build script.