commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [old comonents/jelly] ant builds and releases.
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 19:19:30 GMT

Am 23.08.2017 um 12:15 schrieb sebb:
> On 23 August 2017 at 05:13, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Does anyone remember how to, from an old ant build, get a project released. I think
that I can piece it together by simply do a bunch of manual stuff to md5, sha1, and gpg sign
things and publish artifacts and then manually update the site, but that feels fairly heavy.
Does anyone recall an easier way to do this? Is there any documentation on how this was performed
before migrating to maven 2+?

> I'm fairly sure it was all manual.
>
> Nexus did not exist then, nor did dist.apache.org.
>
> As I recall, Ant was used to create the jars.
> I think sigs and hashes must have been created manually.
>
> The RC was then uploaded to the users minotaur account somewhere under
> public_html.
> Assuming success, the ASF release artifacts had to be copied to
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/commons/xxx on minotaur.
>
> I think Maven artifacts were published in a similar way, i.e. upload
> to a folder on minotaur and wait for changes to be picked up.
>
> Most of the above is easy enough to do with the new systems apart from
> Maven/Nexus.
>
> The dev list archives might have some additional useful info.

I remember that I also did some releases with Maven 1 in the old days.
Here the advantage is that at least the site can be generated.

I think the site will be a major problem for a Jelly release. The
artifacts for Jelly core can certainly be constructed somehow, but
getting the site build to work and then publishing the pages... :-(

Oliver