commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brosius <dbros...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [All][Math] New component: "Commons Geometry"?
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:26:04 GMT
 >> I get that what you are really trying to do is kill Commons Math off
piece by piece. I just don’t agree with doing that.

This is ridiculous. Giles is the primary person trying to keep some
semblance of commons-math-like-stuff alive. He has asserted that there
is no way he can maintain all of commons-math, and no one else is really
all that interested.  Time has proven he is right.

Given he is trying his best to keep code going, and actually the one
doing the work, perhaps we should be a little bit less offensive about
trying to shut him down.

--dave

On 08/21/2017 01:52 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> [...]
that I don’t want to see Commons become the placeholder for all the Math related components.
If Math has stuff that can’t be maintained then create a MathLegacy project in the sandbox
and move the stuff there.
>>> I’ve also already argued in that direction.
>> I gave technical arguments in favour of the proposal (cf. first
>> post in this thread).
>>
>> People opposing it give none.
>> A sudden "allergy" of some PMC members to "math"-related code
>> does not warrant rejecting non-obsolete code.[1]
>>
>> A good start would be to answer this question: Why is it bad (or
>> worse than the current situation) to have this "new" component?
> Technical arguments are not required since this is basically a housekeeping issue.
>
> I’m not sure why I would answer your last question since you are clearly going to have
a different opinion. But many of us believe that Math is a great name for a project that contains
math subcomponents, rather than wading through a bunch of different Commons projects. Eventually
you are going to want Commons Statistics, Commons Transforms, Commons Primes, etc. or things
that are even more specific. All of these should be modules under Math. To be honest, I’m
really not clear why Commons Numbers was approved as I’ve never heard anyone talk about
complex numbers or fractions in anything but a mathematical concept.