commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math][ALL] Travis failing (with JDK7 but not JDK8)
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2017 23:08:57 GMT
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 23:48:30 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 9 August 2017 at 23:19, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:46:54 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> 1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it
>>> cannot
>>> find the current git info
>>

>> That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.
>>
>>> 2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.
>>

>> That's the issue.
>>
>> [I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
>> before posting.]
>
> Yes, that would have saved others some effort.

Hmm, when asking for help to "debug the issue", I thought that
it was obvious that reading the log was involved necessary but
not sufficient...

>>> Both of these could happen with any Java version.

>>> That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.
>>

>> How do you draw that conclusion?
>
> Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java 7
> rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
> JVM.
>
> JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
> It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
> the code being tested but of the JVM itself.

Sure. Never implied that the problem was in the Java code...

>> More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
>> advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
>> (see badge):
>>   https://github.com/apache/commons-math
>
> No idea. Ask a Travis guru.

More more to the point, that's the purpose of my posting here!

> The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is
> crashing.

Sure. Never implied anything else.

> Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.

And what will we do of it?
That was the "hint" referred to above: if there is no interest in
fixing that bug in a Java7 JVM, we should at least stop submitting
that job to Travis.

You are, of course, right that we do not have to target Java 8.
My point was: Is there anyone reading this interested in keeping
Java 7 compatibility?
And, if yes, then _those_ people should IMHO be interested in
fixing the problem reported here.

> I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it
> is
> clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.

I don't follow. [Or do you suggest that Travis should report
"success" because the code succeeded in crashing the JVM ;-) ].

Gilles