commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang][collections] SortedProperties
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2017 18:25:11 GMT

> On Jul 18, 2017, at 4:43 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@bpm-inspire.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd to have a new class called SortedProperties that extends
>> java.util.Properties.
>>
>> Should that go in [lang] or [collections]?
>>
>> I first thought [lang], but it _is_ a collection after all.
>>
>> Gary
>
> for me it's [collections]. [collections] is like [lang] also an extension to
> the Java runtime, specialized for the collection/map/array stuff of
> java.util. Especially since we tried to strip [lang] down and have already
> moved stuff now into more specialized components.

I'm stuck in the in-between here with the following thought: HashTable certainly feels like
a collection of objects, but it clearly extends Dictionary and isn't in the collections family.
But we are in java.util here and not in java.lang, so that feels more like it could be in
collections. Plus properties are essentially a map, despite they're being implemented on top
of hashtable.

-Rob