commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject Re: OSGi Version at Package Level
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 07:18:27 GMT
Hello,

Just a pointer, those constraints come in handy when you plan to have OSGi do. the final resolving
of actual deployed systems as well. It might not be your cup of coffee but I recommend the
modularity talk of Peter Kriens 2016 at the modconf in Darmstadt: https://youtu.be/VwD0pYNOvFQ
to get a radically different view.

(But Imagree with others that for most commons projects (especially tools libraries) there
is not much benefit for having package versions different from bundle versions. Especially
not since there is no overall OSGi theme going on.)

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________
From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:03:28 AM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: OSGi Version at Package Level

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com> wrote:
> ....Bundles can specify all sorts of Requirements, including implementations,
> and bugfix version ranges...It can be a
> little too expressive :-)...

Yes, in the OSGi projects where I'm involved we avoid these things as
they create more coupling than we like.

When working in that way, getting the right implementations is a
deployment concern, and the OSGi framework "just" makes sure
everything that's deployed is compatible at the API level.

-Bertrand