commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Compiler targets and Java 9
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 23:22:31 GMT

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 2:58 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 5, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Amey Jadiye <ameyjadiye@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> correct, moving to Java9 might be restricting 1.5 to run on higher
>> versions, that said they may not run on java 9 so all this discussion came
>> in picture, I wish we can have java 9 target well at the same time we
>> should detach our self from java 1.5, just a view.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Java 5 artifacts should run just fine on Java 9 - with the exception that if they are
using restricted classes they will fail.  That is really the only Java 9 issue to be concerned
with, and is why it is going to take quite a bit of time for it to become mainstream.

And it seems my worry over those issues may have just been mitigated - http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-June/012841.html
<http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-June/012841.html>.

Ralph