commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi Version at Package Level
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 07:23:26 GMT
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Do I understand well that we would have to micro manage versions at the
> package level different from the version at the component level, and
> sometimes significantly different versions (like foo 1.2.3 and
> org.apache.commons.foo.bar 2.3.4)?...

That's how it's done in OSGi-based systems.

>... That sounds like a nightmare...

With the right tools as mentioned in my previous message it's quite easy.

> ...What existing problem would that solve exactly?...

Implementing semantic versioning at the java package level as opposed
to bundle level.

In heavily componentized systems that's a big help, assuming the Java
packages make sense - to paraphrase Grady Booch, one package should do
one thing and one thing well.

On the other hand, if you don't care about package-level versioning
and consider your bundle as one big thing on which other things
depend, that doesn't help much.

-Bertrand