commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <sesunc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:14:10 GMT
On Jun 25, 2017 5:54 AM, "Benedikt Ritter" <britter@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Am 24.06.2017 um 20:19 schrieb Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com>:
>
> TBH, I don't know that I think there's a reason to do such a
library unless it's really a game changer.

Currently functor is somehow in limbo state. It has been promoted to
proper, but there has never been a release. So I wonder what we want to do
with it.

I think Matt has the right of it.

If there's no current need for Functor, and it's never had a  release, does
it need to make a sound?

A lot of the current snapshot is redundant under plain old JDK 8;  much of
the rest is subsumed by various functional and/or reactive libraries (of
which there are quite a few).  AOL's Cyclops [1] bridges a bunch of these
(e.g. [2],[3].[4]). Is there anything that isn't provided for in cyclops or
one of the things it bridges?

Simon

[1]     https://github.com/aol/cyclops-react/wiki
[2]     https://www.vavr.io/vavr-docs/