commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Custom build containers in Travis-CI.
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:08:55 GMT

> Am 16.06.2017 um 11:07 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Am 15.06.2017 um 15:17 schrieb Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We’ve started an experiment in [text] in regards to using travis-ci to build inside
containers (specifically ibmjava at this point). It seems that it’s a non-standard practice
with regards to travis-ci.

>> I suppose my question is: is anyone familiar with using travis-ci and specifying
custom containers in which to run your build? Give the .travis.yml a look in commons-text
(https://github.com/apache/commons-text/blob/master/.travis.yml) and let me know what you
think. Clearly we’re trying to use ibmjava to build the project, but it’s definitely running
that build on each of the 3 environments that we’re running in and exits with a 0 from the
docker run command regardless of if the build fails.

>> Any thoughts?
>
> I don’t think it is possible to implement this in a way that the ibm idk build serves
as a build environment the same why like the build in JDKs do.

> Are there any plans by the travis team to make it possible to use ibm idk as build environment?
Maybe we can create a PR for that. That feels like a much cleaner solution.

Furthermore it should be possible to integrate the ASF build infrastructure with GitHub. So
if we can’t get this into the Travis Build, maybe we can setup an IBM JDK build on builds.apache.org
<http://builds.apache.org/> set it up, so that it also reports build results at the
pull request.

Regards.
Benedikt