commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kapil Neurgaonkar <caps...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 19:02:19 GMT
Hello Benedikt,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Kapil,
>
>> Am 21.05.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <caps.5k@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
>> contributing to project Commons Text.
>
> That’s great, welcome to our community! Please have a look at the docs for contributors
[1] and please sign an ICLA [2] if you plan to contribute on a regular basis.

Yes I do wish to contribute on a regular basis. I have submitted a
signed ICLA and public key as mentioned in the docs.

I'll also go through the docs for contributors.

>> To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].
>> Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
>> through this activity.
>>
>> Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
>> went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
>> mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
>> map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.
>>
>> Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
>> StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
>> respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.
>>
>> I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.
>
> TEXT-80 looks valid to me. So removing the generic type parameters sounds like a good
idea. Note that this API has already been released, so we need to make sure, we don’t break
anything. We use the maven clirr plugin to check our APIs. So after you’ve implemented your
fix, in this case you should check the clirr report. It should not have errors.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does Maven Clirr Plugin get executed as a part of Maven install itself?
2. How do we analyze impact across Apache projects in case there are
dependencies from other projects.

> You can submit your proposal as a pull request against our GitHub mirror [3].

I'm planning to start with the proposal for TEXT-80 as soon as my id
is activated.

>> Please mention in case anything got missed or needs correction.

Thanks,
Kapil