commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [LANG] Thoughts about Lang 4.0
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 10:05:07 GMT
On 22 May 2017 at 00:56, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
> I think the time has come to start thinking about Lang 4.0.

As I outlined in another thread, Lang 3.5 uses PropertyChangeListener,
which in module terms pulls in the whole of Swing and AWT. For a
library like [lang] that is a bad thing and should really be fixed.

Fixing it properly requires a major release, which implies that Lang
4.0 is still Java 1.7 and should use the `org.apache.commons.lang3`
package name. Yes, the versioning a bit of a mess, but you are where
you are.

More broadly, it needs to be established if a lang release for Java 8
is needed? What would it enable? Would a new commons project be a
better place for them (ie. a new [core] or [eight] project)?

Stephen