commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] Thoughts about Lang 4.0
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 11:47:16 GMT

> On May 21, 2017, at 7:56 PM, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think the time has come to start thinking about Lang 4.0. A new major release is a
chance to clean up stuff and get rid of APIs we don’t need anymore/don’t want to maintain
anymore. Lang has become rather large. It’s description still is

> „Lang provides a host of helper utilities for the java.lang API […]"
>
> When I look at Lang I see a lot of stuff which has nothing to do with the java.lang package.
I think our aim for 4.0 should be to get back to that again. I like the approach we took with
math. Splitting a large package down into smaller individual components is a good idea. So
my proposal is to split out more new components from Lang like we did with commons-text and
deprecate that stuff in lang. Then we can start with Lang 4.0 and remove all that stuff.

> Here are some components I think we could extract from Lang:
>
> - commons-system: a library focused on working with system properties and detection of
the operation system, system’s architecture and Java version
> - commons-concurrent: a library providing additional abstractions and implementations
for the java.util.concurrent package
> - commons-reflect: a library which helps working with reflection (where is the line to
beanutils here?)
> - commons-date: a library which helps working with the java.util.Date and java.util.Calendar
APIs

> Furthermore I’d remove the o.a.c.lang3.event package. The stuff in o.a.c.lang3.math
could maybe find a new home in one of the commons-math components.

> The o.a.c.lang3.builder package fits into Lang 4.0 but I’d rename it to o.a.c.lang4.object
(if that’s possible). Further more I’d remove the Builder interface.

> The o.a.c.lang3.mutable and o.a.c.lang3.tuple package as well as the o.a.c.lang3.exception
package can stay as they are.

> WDYT?

The only thing that occurs to me is that we should make sure that Java 9 is fully in general
availability before releasing 4.0.