commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [math] porting other code bases into ours
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 14:10:28 GMT
On 2017-05-16, Rob Tompkins wrote:

> I’m currently working on an issue in the [math] codebase, and the suggested fix is
to port some python code over to Java from scipy (https://github.com/scipy/scipy <https://github.com/scipy/scipy>,
https://scipy.org <https://scipy.org/>, license: BSD-3-clause). Clearly I can’t copy
and paste their exact code in to our codebase as it’s python, but clearly I’m lifting
their ideas.

> So, what is and isn’t allowed in this case? Do I simply go through the exercise of
porting the code over and make a reference or is there something else that I should do?

I've been doing similar things in [compress] coming from C rather than
Python. My code is usually not a verbatim port but rather a Java rewrite
of the ideas of the original algorithm.

AFAIU a straight port would be fine as well as the license is
compatible. You may want to keep pointers to the original code base and
license with your code.

Stefan