commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all][osgi] how to deal with non-bundle dependencies?
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 06:11:40 GMT
On 2017-05-02, Matt Sicker wrote:

> Apache ServiceMix tends to repackage a lot of 3rd party libraries as
> bundles, so that's one method. End users can use things like bnd to
> generate a manifest for 3rd party jars (e.g., installing jars using the
> "wrap:" URI in Apache Karaf), though that's kind of similar to automodules
> in JPMS which isn't the best thing.

In our case with org.brotli:dec at Compress the "automodules" approach
would be good enough. The whole library has a single public class and no
dependencies, the bundle definition would be trivial.

We've now marked the dependency with "resolution:=optional" and hope
this allows Compress to remain a valid bundle. Do you know whether there
is an easy way to test whether a library would work as a bundle without
actually trying to deploy an application using it into a container?

Stefan