commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [LANG] Thoughts about Lang 4.0
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 10:19:27 GMT
On Tue, 23 May 2017 11:13:21 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> - commons-system: a library focused on working with system
>>> properties and detection of the operation system, system’s
>>> architecture and Java version
>>> - commons-concurrent: a library providing additional abstractions
>>> and implementations for the java.util.concurrent package
>>> - commons-reflect: a library which helps working with reflection
>>> (where is the line to beanutils here?)
>>> - commons-date: a library which helps working with the
>>> java.util.Date and java.util.Calendar APIs
>
> I am -0 to -1 regarding the introduction of new components. I'd
> rather
> see us redefine the purpose of commons-lang. The experience of
> commons-math has demonstrated, IMO, that such new components will
> most
> likely increase the noise without an associated increase of the
> output.

Can you be explicit with what counts as "noise"?

If "output" is total number of lines of code, then you are right; I'm
trying to reduce it for "Commons Math", in the hope that the project
will be better off on all other counts besides plain size.

> IMO, c-lang is running well, as it is.

Sure; hence the talk about fixing its dependency on Swing (IIUC)...
Finer-grained and modular components are much easier to manage. Its
an improvement, especially for users who need to control their
dependencies.

Regards,
Gilles