commons-dev mailing list archives

From Yaron Levy <yaronlev...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: [Crypto] GCM pull request
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 03:20:04 GMT
@kexianda I'm not interested in streaming encryption. I don't think it must be a requirement
for the PR to be merged or for the lib to be released. Straight encryption is good enough
for me.If any, I'd like to ask for optimized RSA encryption/signing, assuming openssl is faster
than jce and/or bouncy, which I'm quite sure it is.

I actually find it quite amazing that java is so far behind on GCM. An optimized GCM by itself
is an opportunity to propell commons-crypto as the standard for java GCM (although it would
have been much cleaner to have designed it as a security provider IMHO).
Thanks,Yaron.

-------- Original message --------From: "Ke, Xianda" <xianda.ke@intel.com> Date: 5/17/17
 19:34  (GMT-08:00) To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org> Subject: RE:
[Crypto] GCM pull request
Hi folks,

I had a glance at the  implementation of GCM Acceleration in HotSpot(Java 9) and did benchmark
months ago.
The implementation in HotSpot(Java 9) is not well optimized.  Yes, there is an optimization
opportunity for Java 9...

AES-GCM(JDK8):       3.98 MB/s
AES-GCM(JDK9):       267.78 MB/s
AES-GCM(Crypto):   762.81 MB/s
GCM Acceleration in Java gets faster, but still fall far behind Common Crypto(the patch hasn't
been merged).

I'll continue to refine the patch (GCM Cipher, PR #60).
@Levy, if you are interested in GCM, maybe you can  create a JIRA  to enable GCM Cipher
for InputStream/OutputStream.

Regards,
Xianda