commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] MATH-1385 OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2017 00:58:43 GMT
Hello all,

TL;DR - curious if anyone is familiar with the issue, not sure my diagnosis is correct.
---------
We have an individual reporting that their FastFourierTransform is causing OutOfMemoryErrors,
which seems to me to stem from the mechanics of the data handling as opposed to the calculations
themselves.

My thought is that the issue at hand stems from there being no upper limits on the size of
the array returned by TransformUtils.createComplexArray, and this causes the potential for
memory profile limitations.

I was thinking that maybe we could somehow perform the transform in portions as opposed to
doing a complete copy of the input data here: https://github.com/apache/commons-math/blob/MATH_3_6_1/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/transform/FastFourierTransformer.java#L370-L372
<https://github.com/apache/commons-math/blob/MATH_3_6_1/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/transform/FastFourierTransformer.java#L370-L372>

or minimally not make a second copy of the data in the TransformUtils.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas here.

Cheers,
-Rob