commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [all] Java 9 module names
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:42:33 GMT
On 24 April 2017 at 11:08, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@bpm-inspire.com> wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you could use --add-modules to add the module separately
>> from the command line, or add the module to the application's
>> module-info rather than the libraries.
>>
>> In general, I suspect a library module-info.java should depend only on
>> the other modules it really needs (eg. the API of slf4j), while
>> something else, such as the application, adds the implementation
>> module (eg. the SLF4J implementation).
>
> Which will create another chaos. Currently I can use the the xx-over-yy
> artifacts to replace a hard coded dependency of an artifact if it is
> required to embed it in a larger system.

You still can. See my latest blog for the mental model you need:
http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-modules-are-not-artifacts.html

TL;DR, modules != artifacts. Depending on a module does not imply
depending on exactly the same artifact that was used at compile time.
Thus, the xx-over-yy jar files are still useful, provided they have
the same module name as the module they are faking. See
https://jira.qos.ch/browse/SLF4J-408 for how slf4j needs tweaking.

Stephen