commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 16:13:50 GMT
Hello.

IMO, it would make sense that the next release of Commons
Math (v4.0) depend on "Commons Numbers" (v1.0 ?) and
Commons RNG (v1.1).

Could people who volunteered for moving/refactoring the
codes provide some status information and expected roadmap
for getting to a state where release of the existing modules
could be considered?
  * commons-numbers-core
     - Which other classes (namely from "o.a.c.math4.utils")
       yet to add?
  * commons-numbers-complex
     - Add "Complex" solvers (?)
  * commons-numbers-fraction
     - Add "ContinuedFraction" (?)
  * commons-numbers-quaternion

The purpose is of course to drop the corresponding CM packages.

New modules to consider for Commons Numbers:
  * commons-numbers-combinatorics
  * commons-numbers-jdkmath (from "o.a.c.m.util.FastMath")
     - Or drop "FastMath" altogether?
       Cf. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-740
  * commons-numbers-arrays (from "o.a.c.m.util.MathArrays")
  * commons-numbers-primes (from "o.a.c.m.primes")
Please comment.

Also, what is status of "Commons SigProc"?
If this new component would be released, then I guess that we
could safely drop package "o.a.c.math4.filter".

Regards,
Gilles

P.S. My last post about the CM's JIRA backlog did not elicit
      much reaction. I'd like to know what the PMC members think
      of that situation. Is the status quo (i.e. the image of CM
      getting worse with each reported bug) satisfactory for the
      PMC? [Gary, please include in the report a paragraph about
      the state of the matter.]