commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 17:39:37 GMT
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 18:25:03 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> On 04/12/2017 05:29 PM, Gilles wrote:
>
>> Do you actually prefer advertizing a non-Apache project rather than
>> having the PMC support its own developers in any which way it could?
>
> If nobody is able to maintain commons-math I have no objection
> recommending an alternative, especially one that is derived from
> commons-math, has the same license and an open development process.

The issue here is that an "in-house" solution has been proposed,
based on time-consuming work on the part of developers still
contributing here.
The PMC members should logically (?) favour any proper endeavour
that attempts to keep _this_ community alive.

For functionality that requires expertise not existing anymore around
here, it would be fine though, of course.
Thus I ask that we make a list of such functionality before dismissing
the local goodwill as if it didn't exist.

> The minimal support you can expect from the PMC members is people
> voting
> on the releases, and if there is no show stopper like binary
> incompatibilities, awful regressions or improperly licensed code, the
> vote will be a non-issue.
>

>> How can you be so sure? The last releases did not elicit an awful
>> lot
>> of votes; and that is for components that do not raise objections
>> about
>> their mere existence.
>
> Give it a try?

OK for small, focused, components?