commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2017 17:55:49 GMT
Gilles,

What is your vision on where things should end up?  Can you identify what new commons sub-projects
we will have?  If it is just 3 or 4 I have no problem with that. But if we are going to have
10 sub-projects then I really feel like it should be done as:

A:  Commons Math with Commons Math RNG, Commons Math Numbers, Commons Math XXX, etc.
B: Math TLP with RNG, Numbers, XXX, etc.

I have a few reasons for feeling this way:
	1. Although you seem to disagree, these components do seem to be related in that they all
have something to do with Mathematical concepts.
	2. It is easier for users to find if they are all grouped together.

That said, all of this is just housekeeping and can be addressed at almost any time.  If you
want to create a new Commons component you can create a new git repo any time you want to.
The only time you really need to ask for permission from the PMC is when you want to integrate
it into the Commons home page. Of course, you should seek consensus from your fellow Math
developers but if you make a repo and populate it I am sure that others will go along if they
can see that what you have done is a good idea.

I keep getting the impression that you believe people are standing in your way. They aren’t.
If you start a discussion you should expect people to weigh in. Just because they disagree
doesn’t mean they are going to stop you. But if you don’t listen to their opinion don’t
expect to get much help either.

Ralph