commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:26:07 GMT
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 08:54:24 -0700, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2017, at 8:12 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding the decision to keep CM here at commons: As far as I
>>> remember (I’m sure Gilles has the likes to the archives ;-)) the
>>> PMC
>>> was pretty ambivalent and let it to the CM developers. That group
>>> decided it would be better to stay at commons.
>>
>> This needs correction:
>> 1. All the CM regular developers voted to create a TLP (and we
>>    were even already discussing a name).
>> 2. During that discussion, I asked whether some of the roadblocks
>>    (mainly overly conservativeness) would be lifted.
>>    Then, rather than constructively lay out on how we can continue
>>    working for the benefit of everyone,[1] the initiative was
>>    "abandoned" following Phil Steitz's sudden decision to drop
>>    its PMC-chair candidacy for the new project.
>
> This is past history. We don’t need to talk about it any more. Doing
> so is just a waste of time.
>

>>> Later some of those
>>> people decided it would be better to move away from Apache all
>>> together.
>>>
>>> That’s okay for me.
>>
>> It should have posed question to the PMC: Why do people decide
>> to leave?  Isn't there anything to do about it?
>
> Huh? The impression I was given was that the people who left were
> tired of playing in the same sandbox with the people they didn’t
> invite into their new sandbox. There is nothing the PMC can
> realistically do about that once the decision is made. Again,there is
> very little to be gained by discussing this now.

Discussing the fork now would not change anything, you are right
of course; I'm using it as one of the examples when the PMC did
not fulfill (IMHO) an important role.

IIUC some PMC members think that the same causes will not lead
to the same consequence.

My question above was more general; _other_ people left, or
were discouraged by the ambient conservatism.
[Note: I certainly do not propose to accept something because
it's the new hype, but that CM was required to support Java 5
in 2016 (!) is telling.].

Gilles