commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2017 15:49:32 GMT
I suppose that I’ll chime in here. Do pardon my delinquency in responding to the list. I
tend to be fairly agnostic on these sorts of matters because: (1) I have considerably smaller
time in the project than most of you, and (2) I have a serially agnostic temperament [personal
issue :-)].

So after a year of participation in the project (Commons generally), I’ve seen and come
to enjoy that development is an extremely lengthy process (and I believe for the better because
it accommodates all necessary and sufficient deliberation). Thus, I tend to take a slow perspective
on any of these changes realizing that I’m not going to be able to accomplish anything short
of the long order of weeks (short order of months). With that in mind, I ask, what can I do
to help [math]? What is “progress”?

I think we could chip away at a 4.0 or a 3.7 release. I think we could go TLP? Either direction
contains the same difficulty in that finding contributors in this domain is, apparently, quite
difficult. Either direction requires a relatively prioritized backlog, so that’s been my
intention thus far. And, further I plan to try to fix some of the bugs.

As for the philosophy of the matter, I really don’t know what’s best. I do think that
much of this is because [math] sits squarely in-between a TLP and a component that could be
used by any application.

So there. I’ve completely avoided taking an opinion one way or the other (agnosticism at
it’s best). I’m more in the boat of what can I do right now to help.

Cheers,
-Rob