commons-dev mailing list archives

From Schalk W. Cronjé <ysb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Interest in starting a Java 7 FileSystem-based version?
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 03:27:05 GMT

The ZIP implementation is very basic. I've started exoerimenting with this quite a while ago
writing a RAM filesystem as to experiment w.ith the complexities.
I would definitely be interested in working with you on this even if it is only for shared
learning. As one dives deeper into it there's a lot of 'devil in details' and two minds are
better than one to bounce ideas around.

Sent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
From: Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>
Date: 16/03/2017  08:42  (GMT+05:30)
To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: [VFS] Interest in starting a Java 7 FileSystem-based version?

Ralph has mentioned in the past an idea about rewriting commons-vfs using
java.nio.file from Java 7. I was playing with this API today attempting to
abstract some S3 file operations using <
https://github.com/Upplication/Amazon-S3-FileSystem-NIO2> and found that
the API is pretty nice. OpenJDK already contains implementations for the
normal file system and zip files if I recall correctly (so probably also
jar files).

Anyways, if we were to go forward with starting work on this, should we
just make a commons-vfs3 branch in the vfs repo? Or does this belong in the
sandbox?

--
Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>