commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Collections] UnmodifiableSet/UnmodifiableList
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:37:44 GMT
On 23 March 2017 at 07:48, Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlenart@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that the Collections4 provides those classes. Anyway I wonder
> why I the constructor is private and why the factory method
> unmodifiableSet() returns Set?
>
> I would love to use those classes directly, to be straightforward that
> I expect the UnmodifiableSet and not just a Set.
>
> What about adding a method like in Guava? Something like this:
>
> public static UnmodifiableSet of(Set<T> set)
>
> This allows define UnmodifiableSets in code and use compiler to check
> if everything is ok.

Not sure I follow.

What exactly can the compiler check?

The API for UnmodifiableSet is basically the same as the API for Set.

Yes, it implements Unmodifiable, but that is a Collections4 class and
means nothing to the compiler.

It is only at run-time that the the classes throw an error for update
operations.