commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Numbers] Scope?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2017 19:11:53 GMT
Hi.

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 19:28 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Raymond DeCampo wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Gilles
>> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A very important issue here: what JDK version do we target?
>>>
>>> I'd go for Java8, in the hope to revive interest in Commons from an
>>> audience that might be put off by the "no fun" of older and soon
>>> unsupported JVM.
>>

>> I am inclined to go with Java 8.  Oracle has stopped public updates
>> for
>> Java 7, so perhaps "soon unsupported" is an understatement.
>
> Android still does not even provide Java 8 support. There are always
> more
> players in the camp than expected.

It would be great to have those players in our camp!

I'm not against targetting old Java (cf. "Commons RNG"), so let's
not start the wrong fight.
The issue is: What do we gain (really) and what do we loose (really)
going one way or the other?

One aspect is that if we have separate components, they can target
different versions (each time answering the above question).
People in "Commons" pushing for a supposedly minimal mass for a
component are at odds with offering more choices to contributors.

We can't be expected to work with a hand tied behind the back for
the sake of the "unknown" programmer.
Removing the fun entails less opportunities to gather interest for
the project, so that eventually there won't be any code at all,
neither Java 8, nor Java 7.

Regards,
Gilles