commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [text] On the value of idempotent string escape methods?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:30:32 GMT
On 20 February 2017 at 14:55, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@apache.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2017, at 4:31 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 February 2017 at 14:29, Raymond DeCampo <ray@decampo.org <mailto:ray@decampo.org>>
wrote:
>>> I am trying to see how having the proposed unescape() method leads to an a
>>> useful escape method.
>>>
>>> E.g. clearly unescape("&amp;") would evaluate to "&".  So would
>>> unescape("&amp;amp;").  That means the proposed escape() method would also
>>> have the same output for "&amp;" and "&amp;amp;".
>>>
>>> I think a better approach for an idempotent escape would be to just
>>> unescape the string once, and then run the traditional escape.
>>
>> That does not eliminate the problems, as you state below.
>>
>>> You will
>>> still have issues if the user intended to escape the string "&amp;" but you
>>> are never going to crack that without some kind of state saving.
>>
>> That is my exact point.
>>
>> Since it's not possible for the function to work reliably, we should
>> not mislead users by pretending that there is a magic method that
>> works.
>>
>>> Than given that the functionality is available via to consecutive calls to
>>> existing methods, I would probably be disinclined to include it in the
>>> library.
>>
>> +1
>
> I’m a (+1) for removal as well.
>
> Also, I didn’t mean for my example to sound like a proposal. I merely was trying to
get to a potentially valuable stateless idempotent string escape function. Its contrivance
it quite clear.

> Any other comments out there?
>
> We could provide a stateful escaper (that figures out how many escapes a string is in),
or a method that returns the number of escapes in a string is. Again, I’m not all that sure
on the value of such methods.

I don't think it's possible to work out the number of times a string
has been escaped.

The most one can do is to determine if a string has not been escaped.
That would be the case where a string has one or more unescaped
characters in it.
For example "This & that" has obviously not been escaped.

However if a string has no un-escaped characters it it, that does not
necessarily mean that it has already been escaped.
For example: "This &amp; that".
This might have been escaped - or it might not.
For example it could be the answer to: "How does one code 'This &
that' in HTML?"

The application has to keep track of the escape-state of the string.