commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2017 21:06:36 GMT
We're using Maven in Log4j 2 for our Scala API and it seems to work fine,
but it's not exactly a large submodule (just a few classes). This is the
plugin we're using: <https://github.com/davidB/scala-maven-plugin>. As for
using SBT, I have one friend who loves it, and I have a couple other
friends who absolutely hate it. Technically, Gradle supports Scala as well <
https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/scala_plugin.html>, though I've
never used Gradle for non-Java or non-Groovy projects before.

I'd be on board with adding Scala stuff to Commons. My team at $job is
considering using Scala for upcoming projects, and other teams at the
company already use Scala. As I'm inexperienced with Scala, I'm kind of
wondering what sort of Commons libraries would be useful. The same would go
for Kotlin, Clojure, Groovy, or any other popular JVM languages (the less
popular ones would be feasible to support here if there are at least 3
people who can maintain and vote on releases for those libraries of course).