commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [VALIDATOR] How to handle credit card number length (Was: [VALIDATOR] Release 1.5.2?)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:27:02 GMT

> Am 13.02.2017 um 01:36 schrieb sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
>
> On 12 February 2017 at 18:01, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 February 2017 at 15:54, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hello Sebb,
>>>
>>> Are you about to create an RC for 1.5.2? If not, please let me know when you’re
finished with your latest changes. I’d like to push out a new release soon.

>> I'm working towards getting it ready for a new release.
>> Another few days at most, I hope.
>
> I have come to a stop for now.
>
> There are some requests to update the CreditCardValidator which could
> perhaps be done, but it's difficult getting definitive information.
>
> Should we be as strict as possible with lengths, or should we allow a
> range of lengths even if there don't seem to be any cards with all of
> them yet?
>
> The Discover network is also a bit tricky as it includes many other cards.
> Also in some areas it includes additional cards, e.g. China Union Pay,
> which are handled independently elsewhere.
>
> How should these be handled?

I think we should be as strict as we can be on basis of the available documentation. Better
reject something that is valid and let users build their custom validator on top of ours than
silently accepting invalid cards, causing hard to find bugs in client code.

Benedikt