commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [text] TEXT-64, ExtendedMessageFormat Locale.getDefault() handling
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:41:35 GMT

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 4:18 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>
wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>

> Followed your hints, and spent some time reading our code and comparing to java.tet.MessageFormat,
and also to other classes in the JVM.

> From what I understood, the Category type, used for specifying whether a locale can be
used for format and/or display, started with JVM 1.7, and hasn't been applied to all classes.
e.g. while MessageFormat supports it, ResourceBundle still uses Locale.getDefault(), without
specifying any category (though it's also not clear if it will applied to all classes that
use Locale).

> That said; I can successfully reproduce this in my environment. Should anyone would like
to reproduce it locally, here's the basic steps I think:

> * Install Ubuntu LTS in English
> * Run the tests (all tests should be OK)
> * Add support to Portuguese (sudo apt install ubuntu-keyboard-portuguese language-pack-pt

> calligra-l10n-ptbr firefox-locale-pt kde-l10n-ptbr thunderbird-locale-pt-pt hunspell-pt-pt
hunspell-pt-br wbrazilian thunderbird-locale-pt hyphen-pt-pt libreoffice-l10n-pt-br kde-l10n-pt
libreoffice-help-pt-br thunderbird-locale-pt-br gimp-help-pt hyphen-pt-br mythes-pt-pt libreoffice-l10n-pt
wportuguese libreoffice-help-pt calligra-l10n-pt language-pack-gnome-pt)
> * Open the Language Support menu, and set the language to Portuguese
> * Restart
> * Run the tests (5 errors)
>
> Updating ExtendedMessageFormat with your suggestion to use the Category.FORMAT, fixed
**most** failing tests, with one exception:

> <-- snip -->
> Failed tests:
> ExtendedMessageFormatTest.testExtendedAndBuiltInFormats:141 null expected:<Name: JOHN
DOE DOB: [23/01/07 Salary: R$ 12.345,]67> but was:<Name: JOHN DOE DOB: [1/23/07 Salary:
$12,345.]67>
> <-- snip —>

This is just a feeling here, but for some reason I think this is the default locale scenario
happening again. Did you put the “Locale.Category.FORMAT” in ExtendedMessageFormat on
both lines 120 and 143? If so, then indeed, we will have to investigate further.

-Rob

> I had a look at the source code for that test, and I think the method that returns the
locales would have to support category, or we would have to have a way to define the global
category during the tests. As is now, the test retrieves a list of locales, which are not
aware of the category type. When we format the text with our pattern, the locale keeps platform-dependent.
So in my case, it will format the date for Portuguese).

> Not sure how to fix this last one. Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers
> Bruno

I’ve discovered that it seems that java.text.MessageFormat(String pattern) differs in its
retrieval of the default locale from out org.apache.commons.text.ExtendedMessageFormat in
that it calls

>    locale = Locale.getDefault(Locale.Category.FORMAT);
>
> whereas we call
>
>    locale = Locale.getDefault();
>
> I believe this to be the underlying cause to the issue that Bruno saw when running the
local build of the release candidate. Does anyone have any heartburn over taking the default
locale handling for us and adding “Locale.Category.FORMAT” to be in line with how java
handles this?