commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 07:57:57 GMT
Hi,

I’m very happy to see to much positive feedback on this idea! Let’s wait a little longer
to give others a chance to chime in. We can then discuss the details (e.g. which build tool
to use)

Regards,
Benedikt

> Am 12.02.2017 um 22:34 schrieb Dave Brosius <dbrosius@apache.org>:
>
> +1 to adding scala (or other) language support.
>

> I'd just rather stay away from mixing languages in projects.
>

> On 02/12/2017 03:36 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>> As we already host some C-code in Commons, I see no reason to reject
>> Scala or other JVM languages.
>>
>> I have done some experiments with Scala myself and am very impressed by
>> this language. I might even have a small library which could become a
>> component.
>>
>> One question: Which build tool would we use? I used to have some trouble
>> with Maven and IDE integration (but this was some time ago); with sbt I
>> have better experience, but this tool is complex and I don't know how it
>> can be used for site generation.
>>
>> Oliver
>>
>> Am 12.02.2017 um 16:52 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Commons mission has always been to provide a home for common _Java_ libraries.
Since my personal and professional interests are slowly shifting from Java towards Scala,
I’m looking for ways to contribute to Open Source with Scala. For this reason I’d like
to discuss whether Commons could be a home for common Scala libraries as well. For example
I’m thinking about wrapper libraries which add Scala sugar to the existing libraries. Furthermore
there are some Scala projects out there at the ASF (Kafka, Spark) which my be interested in
sharing code via Commons.