commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Numbers] Parsing and formatting classes
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:29:10 GMT
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:15:02 +0100, Gilles wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 10:36:07 -0500, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Gilles
>> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.

>>> [Text] is also a new component. It is not unthinkable that its
>>> scope
>>> can encompass flexible formatting of such things as "fractions".
>>>

>> At the risk of raising a sore subject, wasn't the expectations of
>> third
>> parties that someone else maintain code for them part of the impetus
>> for
>> the current effort?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you wrote here.
>
>> So shouldn't we get buy-in from the commons-text team
>> before we make a decision?
>
> My proposal does not imply that someone else should implement
> the code.
>
> For example, if you feel confident that the input parsing and
> output formatting classes are useful and well implemented, you
> can start a discussion on this ML (with subject prefix [Text]),
> to inquire about objections to moving them to [Text].
> It seems that it was informally agreed that [Text] is a somewhat
> higher level component, i.e. that it can have runtime dependencies.
>
>>> As suggested, someone having a clear idea of what would be the use
>>> cases for formatting fraction, complex, and the likes, can create a
>>> new "commons-text-math-formatting" module (that would depend on the
>>> necessary modules from [Numbers]).
>>> From my experience with them, the formatting class from [Math] are
>>> not worth keeping.
>>> A lot of other codes should IMHO be given higher priority.
>>

>>> My point is that, generally, people using "fraction" can do with
>>> the
>>> constructors (to input data) and the accessors (to read result).
>>> Moreover, developers of "fraction" usually would not want to spend
>>> inordinate amounts of time to satisfy new formatting requests (that
>>> tend to translate into hundreds of lines of code, cf. CM).
>>>

>> The existence of some formats shouldn't result in an obligation to
>> support
>> whatever formats are requested.
>
> Certainly.
> But it is easier to justify as "out of scope", rather than "we don't
> care about format X".
> Then if someone comes up with a good library that can handle the
> "Commons Numbers" types, our incomplete code will become obsolete,
> and any work put in it will have been useless. The question is:
> Are there _currently_ any use-cases for it?
>
> If there aren't, please let's not rush to add it to the new
> component.

Question about the parsing classes.

(1)
Why isn't there a
   public static Fraction parseFraction(String s)
method (similar to the JDK's subclasses of "java.lang.Number").

(2)
Why does method
   public Fraction parse(final String source)
in "FractionFormat" throw a subclass of "ArithmeticException" while
"parse" methods of the JDK's "Number" class throw
"NumberFormatException"
(a subclass of "IllegalArgumentException")?

(3)
Why does the parsing depend on "Locale"? ["Number" subclasses do not.]

(4)
Why use "StringBuffer"?

(5)
Why do several of the Javadoc comments in "FractionFormat" mention
"complex format"?

The more we look into these old classes ("@since 1.1"), the more we'll
find that they should have been deprecated, and that probably nobody
uses them (or we should have gotten some remarks about the above).

Regards,
Gilles