commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [complex] Make multi-module and rename component?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:42:38 GMT
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:23:26 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Gilles wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> How about renaming the component to "Commons Numbers" (or another
>> name
>> if preferred) that would contain the following modules:
>>   * commons-numbers-core (with classes such as "Precision").
>>   * commons-numbers-complex
>>   * commons-numbers-quaternion
>>   * commons-numbers-fraction
>>   * commons-numbers-continued-fraction
>>   * commons-numbers-fft (Fast Fourier Transform)
>>   * commons-numbers-fct (Fast Cosine Transform)
>>   * ...
>> ?
>>
>> Gilles
>
> As long as it does not mean, we have individual release cycles for
> these
> modules...

Got it... last time, already. ;-)

Seriously, that limitation alone should favour the "one concept, one
component" solution.  No?  Oh I already said that too, I think...

I really don't grok why a sub-par (by much) solution is preferred
just because of the assumption that there will be more review work.
That won't be so, if review is performed on a regular basis and work
is distributed among all developers (active and passive). The smaller
the codebase, the easier it is to spot something "strange".
Big components are intimidating and I won't be surprised that people
tend to skip them entirely, or stay focused on selected parts, without
considering the bigger picture).

Gilles