commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [text] TEXT-36 (Was: [text] 1.0 release progress)
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 22:05:25 GMT
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 20:00:50 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Gilles wrote:

>>> You can achieve something similar by declaring commons-rng as
>>> optional. If
>>> you introduce an API for the random functionality and one
>>> implementation is
>>> based on commons-rng, any user will have to declare this dependency
>>> on his
>>> own if he like to use this implementation.
>>
>> I don't follow; do you suggest something like letting the JVM throw
>> "ClassNotFoundException" at runtime?
>
> Yes, that's the consequence. Therefore it has to be a specific
> implementation that depends on rng and not the RandomStringUtils
> class
> itself. Have a look at the POM of vfs core. The dependencies for
> *all*
> provider specific implementations are optional.
>
> Such a setup might also fit for this case.
>
>>> We have a similar setup in vfs where you have to declare jsch as
>>> dependency
>>> on your own if you want SSH support for the protocol in use.
>>
>> Isn't it similar to what I proposed? [I.e. declare a dependency on
>> the "commons-text-*-bridge" if one wants to use its contents.
>> Or I don't follow...
>
> RNG is no longer optional for commons-text if that interface is used
> in a
> method signature of RandomStringUtils.

Obviously!

FTR: I'm +1 for a hard dependency on "Commons RNG".

The bridge is an alternate solution to satisfy those who (rather
mysteriously) would prefer to offer the possibility to use a bad
algorithm. ;-)

> However, if commons-text has its own
> minimal abstraction layer, we can use the optional declaration and
> avoid a
> multi-project setup just for a single implementation.

The modular setup is done once, whereas IIUC, every app developer
will be forced to implement his own version of the bridge code.
IMO, that's not "user-friendly".

Regards,
Gilles