commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [TEXT] Support for generating random strings?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:35:21 GMT
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:13:47 +0000, Duncan Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A recent discussion on LANG/RNG[1] seems to have concluded that
> RandomStringUtils doesn’t belong in LANG and almost certainly not in
> RNG either.

+1

> Would there be any interest in creating a similar class within TEXT?
> I’d be happy to work on this and produce a first draft class.

+1
But we should prepare for multi-threading.  See comment here:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-34

Perhaps also consider moving into TEXT this code (currently in
Commons Math):

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math4/random/RandomUtils.DataGenerator.html#nextHexString-int-boolean-

Gilles