commons-dev mailing list archives

From Duncan Jones <dun...@wortharead.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] Support recursion in ReflectionToStringBuilder and deprecate RecursiveToStringStyle?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2016 08:02:14 GMT

> On 24 Nov 2016, at 22:13, Pascal Schumacher <pascalschumacher@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Am 23.11.2016 um 21:29 schrieb Duncan Jones:
>> To create a deep toString() representation of an object, one must use a combination
of ReflectionToStringBuilder and RecursiveToStringStyle. IMO this confuses behaviour and presentation.
LANG-1249 is an example of the problems the original design can cause - it’s not clear from
the ReflectionToStringBuilder documentation whether RecursiveToStringStyle is able or willing
to take notice of the excluded fields for inner objects.

>> I propose that the recursion behaviour is governed by the builder, not the ToStringStyle.
> IMHO this makes sense.
>
> -Pascal

Thanks, Pascal. Any thoughts on this from others?

Duncan