commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Version number(s) for modular components
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 22:57:16 GMT
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 07:31:36 -0700, Apache wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> If you try to do this you are going to get very frustrated with
> Maven. You cannot use the Maven Release plugin if all the versions
> are
> not SNAPSHOTs, and if they always have to be SNAPSHOTs it makes very
> little sense to have them be out of sync. If you don’t use the
> release
> plugin then you will have to come up with some custom release
> mechanism that somehow can only release a portion of your project.
> This is going to get rather messy as you will constantly be updating
> the parent pom to increment versions and require that to be released
> along with the modules you are releasing - which means your other
> modules really need to be updated to reflect the new parent version.
>
> To be honest, I did what you are suggesting at a former employer. We
> eventually stopped and synchronized the versions of all the modules.
> It simply wasn’t worth the effort to have all the versions be
> different and the only real cost was releasing components with new
> versions that hadn’t changed.

Thanks for the testimony.
Even if I have no clue how the version string causes a problem,
I can readily concede that we can be constrained in how to manage
a project because of the shortcomings of some tool.

Out of curiosity, is there an alternative (to maven?) that would
not suffer from this limitation?

Gilles