commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Version number(s) for modular components
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:31:36 GMT
Gilles,

If you try to do this you are going to get very frustrated with Maven. You cannot use the
Maven Release plugin if all the versions are not SNAPSHOTs, and if they always have to be
SNAPSHOTs it makes very little sense to have them be out of sync. If you don’t use the release
plugin then you will have to come up with some custom release mechanism that somehow can only
release a portion of your project. This is going to get rather messy as you will constantly
be updating the parent pom to increment versions and require that to be released along with
the modules you are releasing - which means your other modules really need to be updated to
reflect the new parent version.

To be honest, I did what you are suggesting at a former employer. We eventually stopped and
synchronized the versions of all the modules. It simply wasn’t worth the effort to have
all the versions be different and the only real cost was releasing components with new versions
that hadn’t changed.

Ralph