commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:58:46 GMT
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:30:16 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
>> Hello Gilles,
>>
>> Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016
>> um
>> 00:38 Uhr:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>>>
>>>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>>>
>>> fails with
>>> ---
>>> Failed to execute goal
>>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy
>>> (default-deploy)
>>> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
>>> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
>>> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter
>>> ->
>>> [Help 1]
>>> ---
>>>
>>> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
>>> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
>>> the "public" modules of the component).
>>>
>>> How does one specify that the module should be built but not
>>> deployed?
>>>

>> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do
>> the
>> trick for you?
>
> However, if the build tools are required (i.e. referenced) to build
> the
> other components, you probably will have to release the build tools
> also.

You mentioned that earlier, but I don't understand why it should
be released.
It's the build process that needs this module being built (first).
It only contains various reporting tools' config files; no Java
source.[1]

Developers who check out from the repository will get everything,
and can build the binaries on their own.

Or do I miss something?

Regards,
Gilles

[1] See the contents of the module here:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=tree;f=commons-rng-build-tools;h=a126e20df3ed8921783b0ca4754e33f6ed6e9692;hb=refs/heads/RNG-30__sampling