commons-dev mailing list archives

From Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net>
Subject [RNG] RNG-17 - LFG
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 15:20:24 GMT
Hi,

I was considering​ to give a try and implement RNG-17
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-17> (LFG),  while I'm complete a
newbie in RNG topic. So I've read a couple of tutorials and IMO I've got an
idea behind the LFG (which doesn't seem that complex).

I haven't found in the literature the explanation of how to seed the LFG
though,
e.g. I have to create first "m" slots using the seed. However I've read in
some article, that Mersenne Twister could be used to seed the LFG. And here
comes my first question for you, is that  correct? And second question I
was trying to understand how to reuse state initialization within current
Mersenne Twister for LFG?

Also I was thinking whenever it's could be beneficial to de-couple seeding
abstraction from actual number generation?

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.