commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Changes on the 3.x line
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:50:56 GMT
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:18:36 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Ralph Goers
> <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > On Oct 12, 2016, at 4:10 PM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > IIRC, many PMC members did not "like" the idea of having more
>> > components.
>> > Even less so if those components are being extracted from Commons
>> > Math.
>> > The least "problematic" one, Commons RNG, barely collected the
>> > number of required votes for a release.
>> >
>> > Has that changed?
>> > Shall we request git repositories for the candidate components
>> > which I suggested back in May?
>>

>> To be clear, Apache Commons currently lists about 40 sub-projects.
>> These
>> projects are typically small and not closely related with any other
>> sub-project in any clear way.  The objection isn’t to adding more
>> sub-projects, it is to adding more sub-projects that seem related
>> closely
>> enough that really belong together.  However, I don’t believe anyone
>> objected to Commons Math being a multi-module project.
>>
>> I would object to creating new Commons components that are forked
>> off from
>> Commons Math that have no maintainers.

It is "Commons Math" that does not have maintainers.

The new components, would, conspicuously, have maintainers.
That's one of the main arguments in favour of this option.

>> If there is code the Commons Math
>> team doesn’t want then just get rid of it in your new version.

This option had been rejected in previous discussions, when I
suggested that I would not release code that I could not
maintain.

Gilles