commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Changes on the 3.x line
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 08:15:50 GMT
On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 19:37:20 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2016 4:17 PM, "Gilles" <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:44:26 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:

> CM

>>> Sometimes, a user just wants a bug fix in an easy to apply release.
>>> The
>>> liveliness of the project switches state as soon as the fix is
>>> delivered.
>>> Release notes can warn that new features are only happening on the
>>> master
>>> branch. If I get a bug fix I am happy ;-)
>>

>> This is all fine, in "theory". But:
>>  * Who is going to _make_ a release for each applied patch?
>
> Speaking here only about 3.x...
>
> Whomever feels like it! :-) We do not have ownership as you well
> know. I do
> not have a need for a patch today and I do not foresee needing one,
> but I
> would certainly not be shy about cutting an RC if I needed one.

Even if he wished to do it, the reporter and patch provider could
not do it (unless he is a committer already).

Will you grant the privilege on the basis of one patch?

>>  * Why this fix and not the other ones reported on JIRA?
>
> It's up to the volunteer that steps up, with reasonable feedback from
> this
> peanut gallery :-)

PMC members do not ask for feedback.
They do as they wish.
Usually, that's fine.
But in the case of a project that is in a bad situation like
CM (I call "bad", the shift from "bug report is handled within
hours" to "unmaintained"), it's not.

>>  * If a release should be considered only after all reported
>>    issues have been examined, who is going to do that work?
>
> See above.

Well, the above is a non-answer.

No "privileged" developer is likely to spend his time doing
point releases.
So there should be a roadmap such as "new point release every
6 months, containing whatever has been fixed".

Otherwise, why would a contributor be motivated to provide a
patch?

>> Where is the roadmap?
>
> We do not need a roadmap for 3.x fixes IMO.

I do not agree; I gave the reason above.

> For 4.x, the answer is the same as it has always been, we discuss on
> the
> ML. How else would it happen? At an Apache conference or meetup I
> suppose...

I've discussed a lot on the ML.
I've proposed things, and there has been no alternative (I do not
call letting the code rot, an alternative).

Don't you think that having maintained CM alone during 6 months
(from December to May) and, my stopping doing that have resulted
in nobody else doing it, is enough proof that the development
model is not good for this situation (big code, no team), and
that the "community" and PMC should support a radical change?

If not, it means that fairly soon, people will search for
alternative projects that are well maintained.

People who read this and have a certain competing project in
mind that has this property should say clearly that they in
fact support _that_ alternative.
All PMC members should indicate where they stand.

Gilles